[ExI] macular degeneration

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 17:31:03 UTC 2016

On 19 December 2016 at 15:51, William Flynn Wallace  wrote:
> It is strongly suspected that high amounts of blue light contribute to this
> disease.  This has been known for several years. So why aren't we hearing
> more about it?  We who look at PC and smartphone screens, spend time
> outdoors (UV), use the new lightbulbs, go to and work in places where
> fluorescent lights are used.
>
> So I Googled it and found that a special type of lens can filter out the
> possibly harmful amounts of blue light.
>
> https://essilorusa.com/content/essilor-usa/en/newsroom/news/new-eyeglass-lenses-block-harmful-blue-light-and-uv-rays.html
>
> So why, on my recent trip to the optometrist, did I not get a recommendation
> from him to get this new lens?  The irony here is that I have learned to
> never trust my doctor to know all the latest things.
>
> I think I'll get them.  Better safe than sorry.

I read it on the internet so it must be true!   :)

Do you really think that all the makers of screens and lightbulbs are
risking making people go blind, with all the subsequent lawsuits for
damages?

You won't find evidence on sites selling special glasses. You just get
the sales spiel. Try reading reliable medical sites.
The main risk factors for age-related macular degeneration are Age
(!), smoking and family history (and being female).

<http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/macular-degeneration/age-related-macular-degeneration-overview>
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macular_degeneration>

On the other hand, special lenses will probably only damage your wallet.

BillK