[ExI] macular degeneration

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 18:19:20 UTC 2016

> I read it on the internet so it must be true!   :)

​Well, now, I hope that I am a bit or two above that category of people.​

> Do you really think that all the makers of screens and lightbulbs are
> risking making people go blind, with all the subsequent lawsuits for
> damages?

​Yes, I do.  How many lawsuits have been filed and won regarding food
additives, asbestos, pesticides etc., drugs and thousands more.  Well not
yes, in that they are not knowingly chancing lawsuits.​  But companies
historically only pull dangerous products when they lose lawsuits or the
feds make them do it.  Voluntarily doing it is fairly rare.  Hurts their
bottom line.  Profits can overcome settling lawsuits.

> You won't find evidence on sites selling special glasses. You just get
> the sales spiel. Try reading reliable medical sites.
> The main risk factors for age-related macular degeneration are Age
> (!), smoking and family history (and being female).
>
> <http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/macular-degeneration/age-
> related-macular-degeneration-overview>
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macular_degeneration>
>
> ​This latter link cites two studies  that implicate blue light in the
possible causes.  You did not read it fully. (Check refs. 16 and 17)

 You are a victim of your own logic.  You assume that because webmd did not
list blue light, then it is not a factor.  Why believe them?  If it is not
proven, then it is tentative, right?  I will not alarm you with all the
wrong things doctors have done to me, but it surely made me a big skeptic
of any sort of medical pronouncements, esp. including what to eat.  Just
ignorant pill pushers, some of them.

I appreciate the response.  My views here are on hold.

​bill w