[ExI] Do digital computers feel?

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 02:05:26 UTC 2016

On Tue, Dec 20, 2016  Brent Allsop <brent.allsop at gmail.com> wrote:

> ​> ​
> Even John admitted that an abstracted word like red does not have a
> redness quality.
>
> *RED* is RED but *RED* is not
​ RED​.

> ​> ​
> all information in a computer is this type of abstracted information -

A computer can store all sots of information and that's not true for every
type of information. The ASCII sequence "red" can not differentiate between
red light and green light even if it has access to testing equipment, but a
suitably written program stored in a digital computer can.  ​

​> ​
> a purely digital computer does not qualitatively "feel" like we do.

​What's with this "we" stuff? The only person I know for sure that feels is
me, just because the inside of your head is squishy and the insides of a
digital computer isn't is not enough for me to think the two of you are
fundamentally different. And what do you have against digital stuff, why
would analog be better?

 John K Clark  ​