[ExI] cost of energy by source

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Dec 30 05:45:35 UTC 2016

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Rafal Smigrodzki
Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2016 9:36 PM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] cost of energy by source

Sound like to total bullshit. Wind cheaper than coal? Really? Why then do you need government subsidies to build wind turbines and government persecution to eradicate coal power plants?

Rafal

Ja, once I got looking at their numbers, I realized they were reporting three and sometimes four significant figures for their cost to generate, however… there are so many variables that need to be taken into account.  We have no good way to deal with cost of factors such as risk of bad guys getting ahold of radioactive fuel, or the cost of a grimy black haze over the Grand Canyon, or the environmental cost of wind turbines swatting birds out of the sky, or of birds flying toward solar farms from all directions because it looks like a lake.

The cost of generating power depends on how you count it, and what factors you take into account.