[ExI] Bell's Inequality

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 19:05:13 UTC 2016

On Fri, Dec 30, 2016 at 3:55 PM, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:

> ​> ​
> MWI isn't the only
> ​ ​
> possible explanation of the wave function.

​What needs to be explained is quantum mechanical behavior, the wave
function

​is ​just a way to perform quantum mechanical calculations and it's not the
only way, if you don't like it you can use
Heisenberg
​
Matrices​ and you'll get the same answer. MWI, Copenhagen, Transactional,
Pilot Wave etc are all attempts to give a physical intuition about what is
going on and not just crunch numbers. Many, perhaps most,  ph
ysicists​
​ ​don't care about that and belong to the "shut up and calculate" school;
assuming you're not a member of that school which physical interpretation
do you think is less weird than the MWI?

​> ​
> Also, the way you're phrasing it seems to suggest you think quantum
> ​ ​
> computers have been proven to be general purpose, rather than usable
> ​ ​
> only for a few specific types of problems.  There is hope that they
> ​ ​
> are, but they aren't yet, and we don't know for sure that they can be.

​True, but if general purpose ​quantum
​ ​
computers are possible then there is a way to tell if Copenhagen or MW is
correct. Yes that would be hard to do but that's Copenhagen's fault not the
MWI fault. Copenhagen says conscious stuff obeys different laws of physics
than non-conscious stuff, consciousness can collapse the wave function but
non-conscious stuff can't. MWI says both obey the same laws of physics. So
to tell who's right you need an AI that operates on quantum principles. And
that would be very difficult to make but it's starting to look like it's
not impossible.

​> ​
> And yes, QM does produce fundamentally random results,

​True, and yet ​
​both ​
Schrodinger's
​W​
ave
​ Equation and ​
Heisenberg
​
Matrices are 100% deterministic, one of the many weird things about quantum
mechanics.

John K Clark