[ExI] Gaian Bottleneck

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 17:02:42 UTC 2016

On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 9:26 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

>…A planet that close would be gravitationally locked with one side in
>> perpetual day and the other in perpetual night; that might not be an
>> impossible burden for life but it certainly wouldn't help…
>

> ​> ​
> Ja.  Tide locked planets would have one small advantage for emerging
> lifeforms however: there would be a twilight ring at the transition between
> the day side and the night side.  It would be a very limited strip of real
> estate, but it would have mild temperatures there always and perhaps liquid
> water, along with perpetual direct sunlight right down on the horizon.

​But the twilight zone would also be subjected to ferocious winds that
never relent as the hot and cold halfs of the planet try, unsuccessfully,
to equalize their temperature; and that would probably prevent the
evolution of large plants or animals. ​

>> ​>​
>> …And it's not like it would be a big deal for them to make such a
>> transmitter, for goodness sake they're capable of building a Dyson sphere!
>> Hell even we could make such a transmitter with little difficulty. ​
>>

> ​> ​
> It works the other way too: almost any civilization capable of
> transmitting signals across stellar space must be also capable of building
> a Dyson swarm or MBrain.

And we have no evidence of a
​ ​
transmitted
​ ​
signal
​ ​
or
​of ​
a MBrain and very little
​for​
​ ​
Dyson sphere
​, and that makes me think we may be alone.​

> ​> ​
> Our planet is one of the rare ones in that narrow transition, where we can
> transmit signals across the cosmos but we can’t yet build an MBrain.

​We may be more than just rare we may be unique, at least in the observable
universe. The multiverse is a different matter.​

  John K Clark