[ExI] Google’s Go Victory Is Just a Glimpse of How Powerful AI Will Be

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 17:53:42 UTC 2016

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 11:22 AM, Mike Dougherty <msd001 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 11:21 AM, William Flynn Wallace
> <foozler83 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I cannot speak to AI and programming, etc. but what this field needs is
> more
> > progress in psychology, and maybe especially, lie detection.
>
> ... and by "this field" you mean "every field" or "any field" ?

​Yeah, I guess that was ambiguous.  Of course I am biased, being a social
psychologist, but many fields overlap psych:  marketing, management, AI,
economics and so forth.  If someone is going to program robots to converse
with people, we need to know more about people than we do, esp. if the
robot is supposed to detect deception, hidden meanings, emotional
reactions, and other subtleties​
​. Enormous progress has been made in reading faces, for example, that
would need to be programmed into robots or AI or whatever broad term
applies.  Ditto for research showing how vocalizations can be read for
stress and other emotions.  Lie detection is getting sophisticated.

bill w​