[ExI] hand foot counterpart?

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 16:40:39 UTC 2016

On 7 February 2016 at 07:09, spike  wrote:
> Cool thanks, that is the word I was looking for.  It is more general than
> the specific hand/foot homologs.  As I recall it is OK to use the term for
> homologous structures in mammals.  If you look at your dog’s leg, you might
> at first think their knees bend the wrong direction.  But closer examination
> allows you to realize their homologous structure to our heel is off the
> ground, and their paws are homologous to the stuff at the balls of our feet
> and everything forward.

I think the usage of homology has to be between species.
e.g. human arms and legs are homologous to the four legs of mammalian
quadrupeds.

Where homology occurs within one species, e.g.hands and feet, this is
called serial homology.
Where organs that have a similar function have developed in two
species that evolved separately, these are called analogous organs.
(see convergent evolution).

<http://evolutionwiki.org/wiki/Homology>
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homology_%28biology%29>

BillK