[ExI] Gravitational Waves Detected By LIGO!

Giovanni Santostasi gsantostasi at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 15:47:13 UTC 2016

No because it is not just a burst.
You have a beautiful time evolution of the signal. In fact you can separate
the detected signal in 3 parts: inspiraling, merger and ring down. They use
relativistic approximate equations (basically an expansion with correction
at many decimal places) to find a model that fits the observed data and
only a merger of black holes with certain masses, orientation towards the
detector, spin and distance fits with high accuracy the data. It is almost
incredible how well the model actually fits the data. Besides some non
Gaussian noise that is always present in the detector the observed
waveforms look like the solution of a GR graduate textbook end of chapter
exercise problem.