[ExI] disgusted with Windows

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 09:29:41 UTC 2016

On 25 February 2016 at 01:34, William Flynn Wallace  wrote:
> I am so disgusted that I may switch to a Mac.  But that would be a big
> change.  I am 74 and have never been a patient person, so I am asking just
> how much trouble it is to switch to Linux.
>
> Any of you done that?  Of course if you have been using Linux for a long
> time then you might not be the best person to ask - or you may be.  Advice
> please!
>
> Switch to Mac, switch to Linux, stay with Windows and the new Norton

Switching to Mac is expensive. You have to buy everything from Apple.
But you may find it easier to be wrapped in their warm comfortable
blanket. :)

Linux is free but takes more of your time. (And there is a bit of new
jargon to learn). You can try it by downloading a copy of the software
and burning it to a DVD, then booting your computer from the DVD. It
won't change anything on your computer. It runs much slower,
obviously, from the DVD but you can test that everything works and see
whether you like it.

I use Linux Mint. There are several versions available. For older,
less powerful computers Mint Xfce is best. The MATE version would
probably be easiest to learn.
<http://www.linuxmint.com/index.html>

Download here:
<http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php>

The User Guide explains how to download, test, install and everything else.
<http://www.linuxmint.com/documentation.php>

(You may need to change the Boot sequence on your computer to run from
the DVD - see documentation).

Best of luck, BillK