[ExI] need a new word/suffix

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Jan 12 15:36:36 UTC 2016

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Dan TheBookMan

>…By the way, a recurring complaint is that things are decaying. I even had someone on Twitter chide me about the "King's English." (Which King? Since my interlocutor was a Young Earth Creationist -- and fairly shallow and ignorant -- I'm guessing King James.) …Dan

Elvis Presley.  He is the closest to an American king, even if his realm is RocknRoll.  We already have a talk like a pirate day, so why not talk like Elvis?

Twenty years ago I would have given a different answer to why language needs to be standardized: to make more manageable the code needed to allow computers to read our books.  But OK Google convinced me that code can be written to understand the way we really speak and write.  For instance, we say “woulda” instead of “would have.”  Plenty of smart high school level people have heard it that way so long they think it is “would of.”  Modern code can deal with it.

I have cousins who speak in a dialect hard for some to understand.  I do, but I grew up around it.  OK Google has no problem.  I don’t know how they did that, but they did it.  We are free to allow language to evolve.