[ExI] Whatever happened to peak oil by 2020?

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 18:40:06 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016  BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

​> ​
> The world has reduced the use of oil and coal.

​Coal use did decline in 2015 by about 4.6%, but that is not true for oil.
In 2015 the world burned 93.8 million barrels of oil a day, in 2014 it was
only 92.4 and yet the price of oil went down in 2015, and by a lot.

https://www.eia.gov/forecasts/steo/report/global_oil.cfm

​> ​
> Is the world heading into a recession?

​I don't know, but if we're heading into a recession it is not because
energy has gotten too expensive, it will be because of the Chinese bubble
and horribly run government owned companies expanding too fast making
things people don't want or need.

​> ​
> Is Saudi deliberately reducing the price of oil to try to bankrupt US
> ​ ​
> shale companies?
> ​ ​
> (At the risk of destroying their own economy).

​No.​

​> ​
> Is the atmosphere pollution becoming too bad?

​The worst air pollution is in China and India and the former USSR, and
that is primarily caused by coal not oil. ​Putting catalytic converters on
cars would certainly help too.

​> ​
> Is atmosphere pollution causing catastrophic weather events?

Weather
 catastrophes are no more common now than they were a 100 years ago,
they're just different. ​

> ​> ​
> Is the switch to renewable energy gathering speed?

​I don't see any sign of that, but I do see signs that countries like
Britain and Germany are getting tired of spending big money on subsidies
and signs most renewable energy companies can not exist without that
crutch.

  John K Clark