[ExI] need a new word/suffix

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 23:10:17 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 2:45 AM,   Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

> On 2016-01-11 01:35, William Flynn Wallace wrote:
>>
>> Problem is:  how do we make any neologism popular?
>
> http://www.aleph.se/Trans/Cultural/Memetics/memecycle.html
>
> Basically, it needs to be memorable, have some bait (like being cool,
> fun, apposite), and easy to use. Specialized neologisms spread through
> writing more than everyday ones.

I am on record (Second Ed of Selfish Gene) as having coined memeoids.
My wife gets credit (from Douglas Hofstader) for the term "memetics."

> Most neologisms fail.

Most everything fails.  But we have to keep trying.

Incidentally, it looks like I will be in the UK, Oxford in fact, the
first week of March.  Open ended for how long I am there.

Keith