[ExI] need a new word/suffix

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 16:24:43 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 4:13 AM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 14 January 2016 at 01:29, William Flynn Wallace  wrote:
> > I am hoping that this generation of Tweeters will change the language
> > dramatically in the direction we are talking about.  They are talking
> about
> > the disappearance of cursive writing and I too think that's good, though
> > some writing will be with us forever, I think.  As soon as programs like
> > Dragon Speaking get really good, we will no longer use our thumbs to
> write
> > on our cell phones, and may move away from the keyboard entirely, as who
> can
> > type as fast as he can talk?  And if AI gets as good as some predict, we
> > won't have to do a lot of editing when we speak into a computer.
> >

> Speed isn't everything.  Quality matters.
>
> Twitter seems to produce a very low level of communication.
> Some authors still prefer cursive writing. Probably because it forces
> them to spend time thinking about what they are writing.
> Dictation produces a different style of writing. And when transcribed
> to text you lose all the voice inflexions. shrugs, and other
> non-verbal communications.
>
> Even typing in haste produces errors. (Though readers cannot hear the
> screams of rage as you type).  :)
> Rereading and using the spellcheck should be made a habit.
> Sometimes I even 'sleep on it'. Rereading something in the cold light
> of day can often cause a rewrite.
>

> BillK

​I don't think as I write.  I think beforehand and then transcribe it.  My
first copy is very often my final copy, though I do proofread very
diligently, and more than once.  Decades of grading essays showed me that
most people don't do a good job, even after much urging from me, and so I
might not either.  I know what I want to say, but want to make sure I did
say it.  My dissertation had to be proofread by someone else, as I got to
the point where I was reading what I meant to say rather than what was on
paper.

WordPerfect had a grammar checker that would tell you such things as
whether you used the passive voice a lot.  Wonder where that went.​

​  I bet you'll tell me.

bill w

bill w​