[ExI] trolley problem and doing nothing. was: RE: paranoia risk

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 15:55:48 UTC 2016

On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 9:33 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> *>…* *On Behalf Of *William Flynn Wallace
>
> >… case of Kitty Genovese (1964), who was killed, stabbed, in front of
> dozens of people who did nothing, not even call the police.
>
> There was no question of legalities - calling the police threatened no
> one. bill w  ​
>

> BillW, on the contrary sir.
>

> I don’t know in this particular case if calling the constables would have
> resulted in personal risk to whoever made the call, but in many modern
> situations I would assume it.
>

> The Genovese case was about personal responsibility or even personal risk
> so much as spreading of responsibility.  Given sufficient numbers of
> able-bodied witnesses, no one does anything.
>

> I was involved in something analogous to that.  I personally witnessed a
> security violation, along with about twenty others.  I was one of the lower
> ranking people present.  No one reported it.  Months later, someone
> mentioned it to the head of security for that facility, who was most
> annoyed with all of us.  He made us review security procedures in an hour
> long course on our own time.  Had it been five in the room, good chance all
> five would have reported.  In that case, there was zero risk of retribution
> and zero chance of commendation for reporting.
>

> Regarding the Genovese case, I can imagine neighborhoods where bad things
> happen and the local constabulary are never invited.
>

> spike

​Yes, today one's telephone number is not a private thing.

But your situation is not analogous.  Yours was a whistleblower situation,
and there's a long line of feelings about that - ratting one another out
goes back to preschool situations.  Whistleblowers get fired and shunned
and need actual laws to protect them.This doesn't qualify as a Good
Samaritan situation.  bill w​