[ExI] Gaian Bottleneck

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 18:22:39 UTC 2016

On 24 January 2016 at 17:19, spike  wrote:
> Ja.  Before it becomes a viable notion to create a Dyson shell or MBrain,
> the builders would already need replicating assemblers (we might think.)
> Alternative: without replicating assemblers, the progress on the MBrain
> would be too slow to map a change on our timescale.  Second alternative:
> construction on the MBrain began, then the replicating assembler was
> discovered, at which time the transition (causing the dimming) kicked into
> high gear.  Problem: that we should happen to catch that transition in
> progress is quite unlikely.
<snip>

The criticism of a Dyson shell that I have read is (as you suggest)
that the civ would have already mastered nanotech, fusion energy, etc.
so that they would not need to use the sun energy. So they would have
better things to do with their resources than building an enormous
Dyson shell.

There are probably several things going on with this peculiar star,
that cause the radiation to vary.

BillK