[ExI] Gaian Bottleneck

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Jan 26 00:56:55 UTC 2016

Subject: Re: [ExI] Gaian Bottleneck

On 2016-01-25 21:44, spike wrote:

>>. If the notion I suggested is correct, that any MBrain would by
thermodynamic necessity reflect low entropy energy in a specific direction
away from us, it would appear as an anomalous lack of IR radiation.  I
haven't been able to prove it, but the original notion was the discovery
that an MBrain would overheat eventually, unless the most of the energy is
reflected, and it has to all be in mostly one direction.

>.OK, I'll look into it later. Eric D and me may have some proper research
time for working out megascale engineering  later this spring. Thanks for
the breadcrumb trail. -- Anders Sandberg

Oh wait, no way.  I post an idea, which results in Anders Sandberg and Eric
Drexler looking into it.  Whoa!  Anders, I am in awe of myself!  Thanks man.
You made my day.

Do pass along to Eric D my greetings and that I haven't forgotten that he is
the guy who may have saved my life on 8 August 1999.  See if he remembers
that time or even what he and Christine did that day.  I am pretty sure it
had a much bigger impact on me than it did on him.  {8^D

Here's what I think I discovered: you can go with an enthalpy approach, or
an entropy approach, and get a lower limit to the amount of reflected energy
(one approach is conservation of energy based and the other is conservation
of momentum based.)  Of course it could all be wrong.  It would be cool to
propose it to some Matlab-enabled engineering and physics students.