[ExI] extropy-chat Digest, Vol 148, Issue 11

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 01:31:45 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 5:02 PM,  Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

> Even more compelling is the absence of IR emissions. If it had been a
> Dyson shell we should have seen a fraction of the stars luminosity
> reradiated in the IR spectrum. Aliens might keep silent for alien
> reasons, but it is hard to cheat thermodynamics.

Consider what we could see with a mirror 10 light minutes across.

One of the arguments used against it being alien mega structures is
the lack of IR.  That's kind of funny when you consider we are far
along with the James Webb telescope.  Looking into a giant telescope
like JW (or certain kinds of power satellites) we would not see excess
IR.

Also the star has been dimming for a century, perhaps as they build
out a Dyson Sphere or telescopes.

Not likely I agree, but the lack of IR is as much evidence against a
natural light blocker.

Keith