[ExI] Google’s Go Victory Is Just a Glimpse of How Powerful AI Will Be

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sun Jan 31 19:04:30 UTC 2016

On 2016-01-31 18:25, John Clark wrote:
> http://www.wired.com/2016/01/googles-go-victory-is-just-a-glimpse-of-how-powerful-ai-will-be/?mbid=nl_13116

Around here the big topic has been how much this implies about future AI
progress. Much has been made of that domain experts were suprised by how
fast it went, but given Armstrong & Sotala's results, I would not be too
shocked: experts are bad at prediction.

I think Eliezer has a relevant point: he is concerned that "Human neural
intelligence is not that complicated and current algorithms are touching
on keystone, foundational aspects of it." - i.e. we may have found a
general tool in deep learning that reduces the "to do" list of AGI by at
least one line (out of an unknown number).

More practically I think the Wired article gets things right: this is a
big deal commercially. Solving tricky value functions is worth money -
and if they do generalize to hand-eye coordination, then we will have a
practical robot revolution. But even merely software good value
functions might be a huge deal when applied to logistics and other kinds
of planning. Or advertising.

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute