[ExI] greatest date in history

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 22:24:38 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jul 4, 2016 William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Greatest document in history, no question - is there?

​The old joke is the constitution needed a good editor who would have kept
the "​
Congress shall make no law
​" ​part and cut out everything after that. More seriously it does seem
unnecessarily verbose. A
rticle 1
​ says"​

​
*"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or
prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech,
or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to
petition the Government for a redress of grievances."*

​I would have trimmed it down to:​

*Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or
abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the
people peaceably to assemble​.​ *

​Freedom of speech and assembly covers a lot of ground, you can never list
all the things you can do with those freedoms and I don't think religious
speech is more important than other types of speech and if you have freedom
of speech you can use it to petition the Government for a redress of
grievances, so they shouldn't have been specifically mentioned.  ​

 John K Clark

"​

​"​

​