[ExI] What are among the world's most important problems to solve, why?

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 21:56:50 UTC 2016

No, I am arguing that important problems may still be deferred to later.
Fixing the sun's expansion into a red giant is important, but it would be
stupid to reallocate resources used for pandemic readiness today into
solving it.   anders

Ok, so Nick is rating as important problems that will likely occur in about
4 billion years.  That's some planning ahead, I'd say.

Another time, same driver, again too much beer for me, I happened to wake
up and see a restaurant passing by that we'd passed twice before - about 3
a.m.

Oh yes, if probability means anything at all, I should have died in a car
wreck numerous times, with that guy or myself driving.  Solution:  got
caught for driving under influence, spent the night on the jail floor, and
quit drinking and driving.  In fact, I quit drinking at all - decades after
I should have.  For me it was a positive feedback loop: each drink dulls
the inhibition so that another drink seems a good idea - like priming the
pump and disabling the shutoff valve.

As far as dodging death, I am an outlier, even if you *don't* count two
cancers!  "Oh what a lucky man he was."  Elton John

bill w