[ExI] Cosmopolitanism, collective epistemology and other issues

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sun Jul 10 17:46:05 UTC 2016

On 2016-07-10 18:26, Adrian Tymes wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 10, 2016 at 10:02 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net
> <mailto:spike66 at att.net>> wrote:
>
>     **
>
>     Do the British have online non-paper machine voting?  If so, they
>     can make it come out any way they want, the way we do here.
>

> From what I hear, their votes are all paper.  Doesn't prevent
> unspecified "irregularities" from being cited, though.  (Forged
> ballots are a thing, and if there was a legitimate technical problem
> there would be a strong case for Secret marking...though also a strong
> case against.)

It is handled like in most civilized countries: paper ballots, delivered
in envelopes to registrars that check you against the voting records.
The count is overseen by volunteers from the different parties and
interested citizens. There is some competitiveness between a few of the
localities to be the first to finish counting. Overall, it is tough to
game the system since it is very transparent.

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute