[ExI] brexit quick question

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 17:48:24 UTC 2016

On 12 July 2016 at 17:30, William Flynn Wallace wrote:
> Nowhere do I see where the referendum is legally binding, so theoretically
> you could have another one, no?  Or maybe Parliament could simply not obey
> it.

Strictly speaking the EU referendum is not legally binding. In the UK,
Parliament makes the laws.

But the Prime Minister (Cameron) called the referendum because he
claimed that it was too big a decision for Parliament to decide by
itself without asking the people to vote. (The UK joining the EU was
also voted on in a referendum in 1975).

So, on this issue Parliament sees itself as rubber-stamping the
decision of the people.

There would be political chaos if Parliament decided to ignore the
expressed will of the people.

BillK