[ExI] I Miss The King of Extropia

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 19:00:26 UTC 2016

On Sat, Jul 16, 2016 at 10:54 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
> Ja.  In popular voting, name recognition is huge.  It works even if it is
> someone else's name.  Consider the Alvin Greene situation in 2010 where
> Greene took the nomination to run for senate from South Carolina.  He had
no
> money, no campaign events, did nothing but register as a candidate and
have
> a name that plenty of voters thought was the singer Al Green.  Name
> recognition took Greene to the nomination even though it wasn't even the
> same guy.

There are many studies that show most voters in general elections --
between 60% and 70% for the US over several decades -- basically do not
cast their vote based on policy or ideology. It's more name recognition or
other factors. Yes, the remainder are more policy or ideology-oriented, but
they're not in the majority. So, we shouldn't be too surprised in the
example you cite. :)

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my Kindle books via: