[ExI] I Miss The King of Extropia

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Jul 17 13:54:16 UTC 2016

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Dave Sill
…
> On Sat, Jul 16, 2016 at 1:40 PM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com <mailto:pharos at gmail.com> > wrote:
>>
>> One problem is that this time the US only has a choice between Trump
>> and Clinton.
>>> …Nothing for the smart dimension to vote for there.

>> ### This is a very good way of saying it!

>…Except it's not true because we've got Gary Johnson. -Dave

In a two party system there is cross-over voting, where voters choose the other party’s weakest candidate in the primaries, so that one’s own can win.  It is clear enough to me that both parties somehow chose their weakest candidate this time.  This example was so extreme, it is still not clear which is worse, but both are deplorable.

The real problem the US faces and other nations as well is that we have old-style leadership.  We had no one running who demonstrates they have any clue about technology and the important fundamental changes it brings, the new threats and opportunities.

We need new-style leaders, such as Peter Thiel.  Pete isn’t eligible to run for president, having been born in Germany, but he is an example of the kind of person we need running for high office, not an endless stream of sleazeball lawyers.  Perhaps Thiel will accept an office in the cabinet as a science and technology advisor or something.