[ExI] I Miss The King of Extropia

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 17:07:37 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 12:44 PM, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com
> wrote:

> ​It was, oh, about 30 years ago or so that my local electronics fixit guy
> told me to hang on the my electronic products like my microwave, and fix
> them as long as they can be fixed because they were putting cheaper parts
> into even the top of the line models.  I have a power amp whose transformer
> weighs more than several new receivers  - about 40 pounds.  It will live a
> lot longer than I will.​  McIntosh.  Pay for what you get works at times.
> At premium levels.

Sure, you don't always want the best quality widget. A McIntosh smart phone
that cost $20k and weighed five pounds would be sort of pointless.

But what can you do?  My B and D dustbuster battery gave out (my second and
> reconditioned one) and it will cost me $35 to replace it, more than several
> B and D new dustbuster models.  How to decide?

Dust pan and whisk broom? :-) B&D is known to produce a decently-performing
product of fairly low quality. They don't want you to buy replacement
batteries, obviously.

For products like TVs, why put quality parts in them when new technology
> will replace it in a few years?  You'll want the newer model - bigger,
> better resolution, more features, and cheaper!

Yeah, until such time as the technology is as good as it's going to get.

> I wonder what a car would cost if every part were the best that it could
> be?  Right now we've got 'Good enough for who and what it's for.'

 $300k-$500k is the neighborhood. Rolls Royce, now owned by BMW.

-Dave