[ExI] Phoebus cartel/was Re: I Miss The King of Extropia

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 17:21:14 UTC 2016

On Jul 21, 2016, at 9:10 AM, Dave Sill <sparge at gmail.com> wrote:

> > A pretty good long tern assumption if technological progress doesn't stop dead in its tracks.
>
> There's an interesting article in The New Yorker about LED "light bulbs" and planned obsolescence:
>
> http://www.newyorker.com/business/currency/the-l-e-d-quandary-why-theres-no-such-thing-as-built-to-last
>
> I'm not sure it's safe to equate technological progress with economic growth.

Didn't the Phoebus cartel faced competition? And didn't it also rely on patent protection, a government intervention into the market?

See also:

http://spectrum.ieee.org/geek-life/history/the-great-lightbulb-conspiracy

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my latest Kindle book, "The Late Mr. Gurlitt," at:
http://mybook.to/Gurlitt