[ExI] Extropy opposite of entropy?

Anders anders at aleph.se
Sun Jul 24 20:42:17 UTC 2016

Yes, as far as I recall Extropy was more like a philosophical/poetic
opposite of entropy (which after all gets roped in as a
philosophical/poetic concept fairly often). It was never meant to be a
thermodynamic variable.

It is very similar to 90s attempts of formalizing complexity. None of
them really worked: we can certainly recognize it, but it is not just
Kolmogorov complexity just as information is not just Shannon information.

I haven't read Annila before, but the idea that dissipative structures
can sustain themselves thanks to energy flows and to some extent
organize themselves as a response to entropy (evolution requires a
selection step; in a reversible universe species unevolve at the same
rates as they evolve) seems to be popular. I haven't seen his diversity
argument, but I would assume Stuart Kaufmann would argue something
similar? I am also reminded of Eric Chaisson's claim that we over the
history of the universe see systems with greater energy rate density -
maybe evolving dissipative processes become better at dissipation.

Now, the key questions are (1) whether this is a useful way of thinking
about complex systems, (2) why this tendency for greater dissipation
seems to be so universal, (3) whether this corresponds to anything of
value, and (4) if we should try to interfere.

My own stab at (3) would be that if this kind of process produces
contingent, diverse patterns that may give value insofar diversity has
value (I think it does), but more importantly by giving rise to
observers that can experience value - moral patients and agents. Now,
this does not imply on its own that we should interfere, but if
something like total utilitarianism is correct that in addition implies
that we should try to boost the formation of observers (much more
philosophical footwork is needed to argue that we should go for complex
observers rather than lots of happy microbes). Other metaethical
theories combined with (3) may produce some rather different answers to
(4). Negative utilitarians might actually want to stop the process if it
produces pain, for example.