[ExI] education again

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 20:23:20 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 10:22 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
> They can do some accommodations now, but I can see problems with trying to
> shoehorn in dozens of minors into a college environment.  We need some kind
> of basic rethinking, perhaps some kind of breakaway effort or Kickstarter or
> something.

I wonder if your 14 year old can mentor one of the similarly gifted 10
year olds.

It would help with the shortage of teachers for that kind of student.
It will also help with some of the social interaction that the
stereotypically bookish tend to miss (and are then so unprepared for
college partying).

I imagine this should be viewed not as a chore or annoying price to be
paid, but as an opportunity to build peer-teams.

The Unknown can be daunting but also exciting.  If you're going to
venture where none have gone before, you first have to cross a lot of
the known world before you can expand the boundaries.  It's worthwhile
to gather like-minded people to extend your intellectual supply lines.
How do you do that?

>From personal experience, many of my (our?) smart friends really don't
know.  We haven't had much skills training in managing people,
including circles of friends.

I think that needs to be on the table for your next-generation
education proposal.