[ExI] education again

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Jun 3 22:00:01 UTC 2016

>… On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace
…

​>…What I have wondered about is the impersonal nature of watching a video, however well executed.  So I have these questions, probably for Spike:

>…When the Khan Academy videos are used in schools, what happens after the video?

The student works on exercises and demonstrates mastery of that topic.

>…Is the video watched by a group which then discusses it?

No I wouldn’t think so.  The students are all at different places in their courses.  IN my son’s school, all the students working on KA have individual computers with headphones.

>… Or maybe the teacher gives more examples or problems?

Khan Academy does a pretty good job of finding the balance between over-practice and under-practice.  If they get several in a row right, they don’t need more.  On they go.

>…  Since the Khan Academy videos are so popular, I assume math and other teachers are watching them for tips on how to teach… bill w

Hmmm, I hope so.  But the techniques enabled by KA isn’t necessarily a transferrable format.  Those videos are all set up as 10 minute or less segments.