[ExI] Trump, Jail, and libel law

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 01:31:34 UTC 2016

On Sat, Jun 4, 2016 at 4:53 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

​> ​
> Trump and Clinton reminds us every day to be thankful that presidents
> don’t make law.
>
> I think you're being far too optimistic.Trump has already made it clear he
doesn't understand that a president isn't a dictator, and who's going to
tell him he's wrong? Congress? Republicans already control both house
​s​
.
​True​
 they don't see
​
​
to like him much but
​
that will change. Its amazing how a chance to get a little more power can
​alter​
 the perspective
​
of
​ a​
politician
​.
 When Donald seemed unlikely to get the nomination Rick Perry said "Trump
is a
​
cancer on conservatism" but now
​
that
​
he's got the nomination
​
all wrapped up
​
Perry enthusiastically endorse
​s​
him and even indicates he'd like to be Donald's Vice president and run on a
Cancer/Perry ticket.

​doubt​
 Perry is alone in his hypocrisy, if Donald wins the general election very
few in congress will refuse to get on the bandwagon and tell him can't do
what he wants to do. And those brave souls who
​do ​
speak out will probably end up in
​prison.​

What about the supreme court, will they stop him? There are already 4
republicans on the court and there is a vacancy. Can you imagine the sort
of creature President Trump will appoint? Can you imagine?! And Stephen
Breyer
​ is 77
, Anthony Kennedy is 80 and
​
Ruth Bader Ginsburg
​
is 83. It won't take long for Donald to pack the court with his toadies and
then we won't be calling him Mr. President anymore, he will be addressed as
Generalissimo or perhaps Dear Leader.

​> ​
> The part that worries me is that nuke business.
>
> ​Yep.​

> ​> ​
> A sitting president could theoretically fire the Secretary of Defense,
> swear in her daughter, pull the trigger.

​Yep. Of course a president would have to be crazy to do that but.....
Nobody knows why but every once in a while highly civilized countries go
crazy, it happened in Germany it happened in Japan and it happened in
Italy; it looks like it might be the turn of the USA. But I don't want to
end on such a depressing note, at least we're learning more about the Fermi
Paradox.

 John K Clark