[ExI] squeeze the classics

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Jun 5 18:06:01 UTC 2016

Perhaps some here have noticed that our collective decreasing attention
spans apply to ourselves as well as the younger set.  Anyone who has tried
to view the 1950s Perry Mason early TV dramas, which were so excellent at
the time, but unimaginable in any courtroom today.  We haven't the ability
to concentrate at that level for the required time to follow the story.
Today with real-time news, a lot happens in a couple days, or even a few
hours.

Yesterday I was viewing one of my old favorite movies, Bogart and Bergman in
Casablanca.  Excellent story!  But the pace of life is so slow, it got me to
wondering.  These old classics are pretty much out of reach of the younger
generation, but what if we figure out a way to somehow edit them, cut out
some of the dead space?  Can it be done?  Could we somehow shorten old
movies without losing the thread?  If we did, would there be a dozen
different abridged Casablancas out there competing for attention?