[ExI] squeeze the classics

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Jun 6 00:08:00 UTC 2016

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Dan TheBookMan
Sent: Sunday, June 05, 2016 1:11 PM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] squeeze the classics

On Sun, Jun 5, 2016 at 11:06 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net <mailto:spike66 at att.net> > wrote:

>>… Perhaps some here have noticed that our collective decreasing
> attention spans apply to ourselves as well as the younger set.

>…I often wonder about this -- whether it's actually true, whether it's significant, and whether it's a bad thing. …

It has its redeeming qualities.  We can take in a lot more information a lot more quickly now.

Consider a movie that came out in 1977, before most of us had ever played a video game, the first Star Wars.  Do you remember how it made you so nervous it made you want to jump out of your skin?  Did me.  Doesn’t now.  What changed?  The pace of life in movies has increased so much, they get a lot more story is a lot less time.  Talking heads movies have grown rare.

>>… Anyone who has tried to view the 1950s Perry Mason early TV
> dramas, which were so excellent at the time, but unimaginable in
> any courtroom today…

>…Have you been in any courtroom recently or back then?.. Dan

What I meant was it stays on the same camera view for several minutes at a time.  Nothing does that anymore, not even televised golf tournaments (golf, on TV.  I have never quite understood watching guys play golf, never mind having it on a medium such as TV.)

We are accustomed to taking in information much faster than we did even 40 yrs ago.