[ExI] ​Popper and unscientific theories

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 21:07:34 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 1:57 PM, John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 5:08 PM, Dan TheBookMan <danust2012 at gmail.com>
wrote:

>>> 1) There are  lots of stars more distant than 13.8 billion light years
but we'll never be able to see them   because light hasn't had enough time
to reach us and due to the accelerating universe there will never be enough
time to reach us.
>>> 2) Nothing exists that is more distant than 13.8 billion light years
and the Earth is at the center of the Universe.

>> I don't agree with Popper's solution to the demarcation problem, but
what makes you think one is scientific and the other not?

> If Popper is right then the scientific conclusion is that the Earth is at
the center of the universe. At most only one place can be the center
(infinite things have no center at all) but lots of places can be off center
> ,
> thus
> it would seem very unlikely
> that
> I just happened to be at the center of spherical universe with a 13.8
billion light year radius. So I disagree with Popper and conclude there are
parts of the universe I can never see even in theory.

That doesn't really answer my question, which was Why do you think one view
is scientific and the other isn't? It wasn't which one do you think more
likely to be the case.

Also, did Popper actually hold this view? My recollection was he believed
in objective truth, so he probably would believe there was stuff outside
any theory about the universe. (In fact, wasn't his view more something
like that theories are all wrong, some just haven't yet been shown to be
wrong? Or at least, falsification can only show us that any given
scientific theory hasn't yet been proven wrong.)

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my Kindle books via:
http://www.amazon.com/Dan-Ust/e/B00J6HPX8M/