[ExI] Circumcision

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 19:03:20 UTC 2016

On Jun 14, 2016 2:43 PM, "Anders" <anders at aleph.se> wrote:
> Pain and suffering are different things: one is a sensory stimulus, the
other is the aversive emotional reaction (which can be triggered by
non-pain stimuli too). Pain is not bad in itself, but one can make a case
that suffering is something that is inherently bad.

There is of course this old (by now) take on it:

"What do I care for your suffering?  Pain, even agony, is no more than
information before the senses, data fed to the computer of the mind.  The
lesson is simple: you have received the information, now act on it.  Take
control of the input and you shall become master of the output."

I wonder if that still holds, given what has been discovered since that
came out.