[ExI] A Paranormal Computer

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Jun 17 05:34:32 UTC 2016

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes
Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2016 10:26 PM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] A Paranormal Computer

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 9:33 AM, John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com <mailto:johnkclark at gmail.com> > wrote:

This program asks you to randomly hit your "f" or "d" key. For me it consistently predicted what key I would hit next well over 50% of the time, usually around 70%.

http://people.ischool.berkeley.edu/~nick/aaronson-oracle/

>…I was able to get it down to 38% by using certain tricks about how programs like this think, which probably qualifies my input as non-random.

Hey cool, we can make a contest.  One team creates prediction software, the other team tries to fool it.

Better: have a group of coders.  Each writes prediction software and has each of the others play it.  Then the winner is the one whose software predicts best.

Regarding Adrian’s 38% score, if you wrote code which predicted randomly, the software should score around 50% regardless of who is playing.