[ExI] Alexander Chislenko article on English Wikipedia in danger of deletion

crw crw at crw.io
Tue Mar 8 17:45:53 UTC 2016

On 3/8/2016 1:40 AM, Giulio Prisco wrote:
> What to do then? It's a fact that some specific biases tend to
> dominate Wikipedia. I have mostly given up on Wikipedia, and these
> days make only minor factual edits on non-controversial topics. But of
> course that empowers the biased zealots even more. We have discussed a
> "Wikipedia Task Force" on this list many times, but never created one.
> I guess we all have other things to do... Having said that, I would be
> happy to participate in a Wikipedia Task Force.
>
> On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 10:02 AM, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:
>> On 2016-03-08 09:35, Giulio Prisco wrote:
>>> That's why instead of one social system there should be many.
>> Economies of scale.

Wikipedia could make more flexible use of the namespace system to
effectively bolt a 'subreddit-like-entity' onto each and every article.
Different schools of thought could then be better represented and
(depending on how the UI/UX is done) unpopular views could be more
discoverable.

The Talk: namespace can be painful to trudge through, for even
relatively uncontroversial articles. This might be by-design - one would
have to really care about a subject to bother to tread there. Breaking
that namespace out in the spirit of "let a thousand flowers bloom" could
certainly address the issue, while at the same time creating additional
administrative overhead (dealing with abuse, spam, etc, yuck). Maybe
worth the trade-off?

-crw.