[ExI] DeepMind wins Game1 in Go championship Match

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Mar 9 19:39:46 UTC 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of BillK

Quote:
---------

>...It sounds to me as though Lee was surprised by the ability of DeepMind.
He will play seriously from now on!   :)

BillK

I am seeing a replay of what computers were doing in chess in the 1990s.  We were persistently astonished at how good those things were getting.  They didn't exhibit the usual human pattern of steady growth with a fairly sudden (and persistent) leveling of ability at some point.  It isn't even clear to me that computers have yet completely leveled off, as humans always do.  The Go players are seeing that today.

I see this as encouraging however.  It indicates to me that everything we think of as intelligence has some kind of algorithm behind it, and that the algorithm can be discovered.  If not, something that works in place of whatever our brains are doing is discoverable.