[ExI] DeepMind wins Game1 in Go championship Match

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Mar 10 19:25:33 UTC 2016

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace
Subject: Re: [ExI] DeepMind wins Game1 in Go championship Match

>…Anders:  On page 29 I have some plots from Katja Grace's excellent review, which points out that algorithmic improvements typically produce pretty drastic jumps in capability, unlike the individual learning curve or the gradual collective improvement in chess.

bill w

Specific to chess software, there is something really cool: we can use it to discover if humans have gotten better over the past couple centuries.  Reason: games were recorded.  We can run the software in analysis mode and discover that some of the famous games from the past were flawed.  We can find that humans have gotten better.

Explanation: a chess game is a classic beauty if a high rated player appears to do nothing wrong but gets his butt kicked anyway.