[ExI] addiction

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Mar 15 23:29:10 UTC 2016

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Kelly Anderson
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2016 3:45 PM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] addiction

On Sat, Apr 4, 2015 at 5:21 PM, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com <mailto:hkeithhenson at gmail.com> > wrote:

I don't think people are going to get very far with understanding
addiction until they understand why human (some at least) can be
addicted at all.

You folks are sick of hearing about it from me, anyone have an
evolutionary pathway to this curious trait.

>…To addiction? Why did addiction evolve? This seems ultimately simple to me (sorry for jumping in here nearly a year late, but the thread never got here and I thought I had something to add when it came up out of random chance.)…

-Kelly

Hi Kelly, where the heck have you been?

I have one thing to add to Keith’s and your comments.  We get that whole endorphins for sex link, and we get that endorphins are addictive.  But there is another thing that can create an endorphin rush: severe bodily distress, such as that one gets from a runners high or from severe fasting.  I have felt each of those rushes exactly once in my life and I understand exactly why people can get addicted to either one: they feel good.