[ExI] addiction

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Mar 16 01:56:38 UTC 2016

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace

>… a runners high or from severe fasting.  I have felt each of those rushes exactly once in my life and I understand exactly why people can get addicted …

spike

​I was in the 11th grade when I experienced a second wind.  It was fantastic.  I have not experienced it since. bill w​

Ja, the elusive runner’s high is something you really need to work for: they don’t come easy.  I have known plenty of serious runners who never enjoyed one.  I tried for years after that one (high school) and never made it happen a second time.  The one time I did I knew I had done some damage.  I was in a lot of pain, during and after.

A fasting high is so much easier: just go about five days without eating, you’re there.  Note that I am not recommending either one, rather only commenting I fully understand why people can become obsessive about extreme running or get anorexia, both of which I think are additions to that endorphin surge.