[ExI] bees again

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 23:55:24 UTC 2016

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016  William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com> wrote:

​> ​
> Just got a Sierra Club letter advising that there is a bill in Congress to
> stop using neonicotinoids (supplied by Bayer - coating of soy and corn
> seeds) which kill bees.

​
The Sierra Club
​'s advice on what substances to ban has not been very good, they​
pushed hard to ban DDT but they ignored the
​
consequences.
​
In the 1940s in Sri Lanka they had 2.8 million cases of malaria a year,
then they stared to use DDT to kill mosquitoes and by 1965 there were only
17 cases, but then DDT was banned and just 5 years later there were 500,000
cases. In 1953 in India 800,000 people die
​d​
from malaria, that same year they started to use DDT and by
​ ​
1966 NOBODY died from malaria in India. In 1955
​t​
he World Health Organization
​
concluded
​
that the complete elimination of malaria
​by using DDT ​
was feasible
​,​
but then DDT was banned and in
​1​
976 they gave up on
​the idea of ​
eradicating malaria
​
. Today malaria kills 880,000 people
​
, mostly children, EACH YEAR.
​
I like birds and I'm sorry DDT makes the shell on their eggs thin, but I
like kids too.

No doubt some will say
​that by now there must be a
 better way to get rid of mosquitoes than DDT and it's true there
​is​
, genetic drive implemented
​with​
 CRISPR
​ technology, but I expect even more ferocious opposition of CRISPR than
DDT from environmental groups drumming up fears of 50 foot long mosquitoes
like something from a 1950s monster movie. And so next year yet another
880,000 people will die, but bird eggs will have thick shells and I must
admit there is not a single
50 foot long mosquito
​ in sight.​
  ​