[ExI] bitcoin used for nefarious purposes: was RE: quote for the day

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Mar 24 18:06:35 UTC 2016

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes
Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2016 10:51 AM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] bitcoin used for nefarious purposes: was RE: quote for the day

On Mar 24, 2016 8:09 AM, "spike" <spike66 at att.net <mailto:spike66 at att.net> > wrote:
>>… It is really giving me heartburn: if the good guys can think of these kinds of capers, the bad guys are thinking of ten times as many and ten times worse….

>…In other words: the good guys can, on average, think of worse than the bad guys for the same reason that they are the good guys.

Sure OK, um… cool.  Sorta.

Simple question sir: did the hospital hackers get away with money?  If so, they just demonstrated a really good reason to get the hell out of bitcoin immediately; if you own it, sell it while you still can, all of it.  If the bad guys got away with this, they just demonstrated a means to collect a ransom payment, and that leads di-freaking-rectly to all manner of bad things happening and all governments everywhere outlawing all crypto currency.  This is a bad thing.

It pains me to admit this, but here goes: if the hospital hackers got away with anything, the bitcoin critics were right all along.

Talk me down Adrian and Kelly.  I don’t own bitcoin, but if I did I would be bailing out of it forthwith.