[ExI] bitcoin used for nefarious purposes: was RE: quote for the day

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Mar 25 01:46:40 UTC 2016

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes
Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2016 6:39 PM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] bitcoin used for nefarious purposes: was RE: quote for the day

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 3:07 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net <mailto:spike66 at att.net> > wrote:

Case 2: now this becomes an adversarial transaction.

Not necessarily.  Some masked person walks into a store, buys stuff and pays cash, then leaves - the payer is anonymous and the payee doesn't care.  Many such businesses would prefer not to keep records, in fact.  ("Loyalty programs?  Repeat customer discounts?  That's so much work.  You get here, buy your stuff, and get out.  We stock stuff that's in demand and sell it to you.  Easy, honest money.")

Ja good point.  In Case 2A, there is a difference between overt don’t care and overt wants to find ID of payee.

In your first part, if a masked person comes into a store, immediately everyone is on alert.  That illustrates the point of this thread: our attempts at privacy arouse suspicion because it is perceived to enable crime.