[ExI] [Bulk] Re: Gunfight at the OK Convention

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Mar 28 14:22:23 UTC 2016

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Mike Dougherty
Sent: Monday, March 28, 2016 7:10 AM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: [Bulk] Re: [ExI] Gunfight at the OK Convention

On Mar 28, 2016 10:04 AM, "spike" <spike66 at att.net <mailto:spike66 at att.net> > wrote:
>> As I wrote the previous line, I realized something else: my other lists don’t have flame wars anymore either.  The internet activist community has grown up.  It has become a kinder, gentler place.  Spontaneous order?  Persistent negative feedback for flamers?
>

>…Perhaps the reason is that newer forums and twitter offer the angry a more immediate response than waiting a day between attacks for victims to respond…

Perhaps I could add support to that notion, even if not rigorous proof.  As I recall, the worst flame wars in ExI were real-timey.  There could be dozens of one-line posts in an hour.  The unofficial five posts a day limit caused people to think over their responses and put some effort into their writing.