[ExI] Why Physics Needs Philosophy

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Wed Mar 30 15:30:48 UTC 2016

It is not uncommon to find quantum mechanics or general relativity left
on the whiteboards in the Oxford philosophy department. But we have a
very active philosophy of physics community.

(Around our own whiteboards at FHI it is way more probability theory,
economics and logic, with a scattering of cosmology.)

Physics and other empirical sciences keep philosophers honest.
Philosophers are good at handling domains where we do not yet know what
we are doing.

(Want to design a good neuroimaging experiment for some "higher"
function like consciousness, moral behavior or suffering? Get a
philosopher into the experiment design team - neuroscientists often tend
to have too simplistic models of what an experiment can tell about the
mind.)

On 2016-03-30 15:35, Dan TheBookMan wrote:
> On Mar 30, 2016, at 1:09 AM, Giulio Prisco <giulio at gmail.com
> <mailto:giulio at gmail.com>> wrote:
>> And philosophy needs physics.
>
> Maudlin says that near the opening:
>
> "Many questions about the nature of reality cannot be properly pursued
> without contemporary physics. Inquiry into the fundamental structure
> of space, time and matter must take account of the theory of
> relativity and quantum theory. Philosophers accept this. In fact,
> several leading philosophers of physics hold doctorates in physics."
> --
> http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/blogs/physics/2015/04/physics-needs-philosophy/
>
> No talk of ignoring physics there.
>
> Regards,