[ExI] experiment: decreased investment in individual memes...

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Wed Mar 30 15:33:11 UTC 2016

When Bruce Schneier advises the use of password managers, one should
probably at least consider them. Basically, the problem is more password
re-use than central points of failure.

But important passwords should of course be made using Diceware
passphrases that are never written down or reused:
http://world.std.com/~reinhold/diceware.html

On 2016-03-30 01:56, Mike Dougherty wrote:

> On Mar 29, 2016 3:35 PM, "William Flynn Wallace" <foozler83 at gmail.com
> <mailto:foozler83 at gmail.com>> wrote:
> > My solution:  put everything in the cloud and make whoever runs the
> cloud responsible, the way we do for our Visa cards when someone runs
> up a tab on ours.  Happened to me - cost me nothing.  Five minutes of
> inconvenience.  I would favor discontinuing using Social Security
> numbers for anything except Medicare and IRS etc.
> >
> >> How would y'all feel about just changing all passwords etc. daily
> and automatically by someone like Lastpass?  Then the onl
> >> ​y password we'd need is for Lastpass.  You would not need to know
> the changes yourself, but could log in and find out.
> >

> I am very much against any proposed solution that begins with "how
> about just ..."
>
> Just put all of your eggs in one basket,  just put everyone's basket
> in one bank vault, just put a single bank in change of that vault,
> then just wait for the inevitable : whether freelance hackers or state
> funded cyber terrorist, eventually they'll get in and everything falls
> apart.
>
> Even if they aren't there to steal your/our money, simply wiping out
> all the accounting washes away the lies underpinning the world
> economy.  I don't think I'm prepared for that.
>
> Do you have anything in the form of a gradual and understandable
> change in the fundamental nature of everyday reality?

Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute
Oxford Martin School
Oxford University