[ExI] experimental philosophy

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 22:22:05 UTC 2016

On 30 March 2016 at 22:57, William Flynn Wallace  wrote:
> I am touchily territorial about psychology.  My colleagues have discovered
> an incredible number of things about the human mind and human behavior, and
> I want them to get the credit.
>
> A Nobel Prize was awarded in the 50s for the split brain research, which was
> all psychological after the actual surgery.  But of course there is no prize
> for psychology, so they gave it for medicine.
>
> Now here's Kahneman and Tversky getting a Nobel for behavioral economics,
> which again should be in psychology because their work has implications far
> beyond economics (which isn't much a science anyway, but you can't blame the
> Nobel committee for that).  No question that their work deserves a Nobel.
>
> Now there's experimental philosophy trying to grab some of the limelight.
> Are we going to pick the psychology department apart and distribute its work
> to other departments?
>
> I applaud any good scientific work done with humans re psychology.  But to
> call it something other than psychology is just playing with words and
> taking credit where it isn't due.

The Nobel prizes were set up in 1895, so they are a bit out-of-date.
Mathematics had to invent their own prizes.
Maybe psychology should do that as well.

This article list psychologists who have sneaked into the Nobels
(including Kahneman).

<https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20141007012332-186986838-nobel-prizes-from-eminent-scientists-to-the-field-of-psychology-psychiatry-and-mental-health>

BillK