[ExI] Why Physics Needs Philosophy

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 00:37:00 UTC 2016

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016  Dan TheBookMan <danust2012 at gmail.com> wrote:

​> ​
> Let me _stress_ this, since it's being missed: I know only one person who
> put forth Adler as a serious and important philosopher.

​Forget Adler I'm not just talking about him, no philosopher has made a
philosophical discovery in centuries, only mathematicians and scientist do
that.    ​

​> ​
> Gödel was a philosopher, no?

​No. ​Godel was a mathematician who made profound philosophical
discoveries, but philosophers are dilettantes

​and Godel was about as far from a dilettante as you can get.​
Bertrand Russell
​ said only 3 people on earth had read his and
Whitehead
​'​
​s ​
​MASSIVE book on the foundations of mathematics cover to cover, and Kurt
Godel was the third. ​

Now Ludwig Wittgenstein
​
was a philosopher no question about it
​,​
and many
​, perhaps most​,
say
​he was ​
the greatest
​philosopher ​
of the 20th century
​;​
but what philosophic discovery did he make that was in the same league as
Godel's triumph
​ in philosophy​
​?
Wittgenstein was a
​
pygmy
​ next to Godel.​

> ​> ​
> What about Bertrand Russell,

​I thing it was Russell who said that when I got too stupid for mathematics
I turned to philosophy and when I got too stupid for philosophy I turned to
politics. ​

​ John K Clark​