[ExI] bitcoin again

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 20:14:22 UTC 2016

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 3:29 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

>  Please I have a question for our local bitcoin hipsters.

I'm only a bitcoin dabbler, so nothing I say about it is definitive.

Imagine a hospital is hacked with ransomware.

And doesn't have good backups? For shame.

>  News agency reports it.  Some yahoo demands 10k in bitcoins, hospital
> pays, nothing happens, so it was a phony offer to unlock.  Now will the
> Feds even bother trying to go after the bad guy?  Would they shrug and
> claim that no money changed hands, that the Fed doesn’t recognize bitcoin
> as currency?

I don't think so since the hospital was scammed out of real money.

So now, any time the news majors announce a hospital has been hacked, the
> hospital can expect to get jillions of offers to unlock the files for a
> small amount of bitcoins.  It would be impossible for the victim to know
> which one is genuine, if any.  They would have little expectation the
> government will do anything to catch the bad guy.

It may be possible to verify that you're dealing with the real bad guys by
having them provide details about the attack that only the attackers would
know.

I have an idea: create a fictitious health network, give it a name that
> sounds reasonable enough, such as Vesuvius Health.  Make an announcement
> that a major hack attack has occurred, files locked, Help! Save us,
> Underdog, etc, create some counterfeit bitcoins (can that be done?) track
> where the offers to unlock come from and who tries to use the phony
> bitcoins.

No, bitcoin is basically unforgeable.

Another question, how can you determine that a bitcoin is genuine?

I don't know enough to explain it, but it's part of the design of the
bitcoin system. There's no way to create fake bitcoins.

> How does one verify that a bitcoin is genuine now?

If you can put it in a wallet, it's genuine.

I don’t understand why those kinds of schemes wouldn’t work.  If they do,
> the hospital has a vested interest in keeping the hack attack secret from
> the mainstream media.
>

> Oh I am soooo not hip.

See:

  https://www.coursera.org/course/bitcointech

Which has this link to a Bitcoin textbook:

https://d28rh4a8wq0iu5.cloudfront.net/bitcointech/readings/princeton_bitcoin_book.pdf

-Dave